I am not a gadgets person. My Sony Ericsson W300i has kept me happy since 2006. Its sleek, it has a nice colour screen and very good audio quality.
It never occurred to me to buy a smart phone or even a touch screen phone although everyone around me is carrying one. Most of them are even well into their 3rd or 4th smartphones. I never felt I needed one.
When Terry signed up for a mobile calling plan and got a free iPhone 4s, he let me use it. He wanted the minutes not the smart phone he said. I was a little sceptical. For one, it was much bigger than my Sony and well, I was very out of touch with hi-tech gadgets like the iPhone!
It took me some time to get used to using a touch screen and the idea of “applications” and being connected to the internet 24-7. I can’t believe I am saying this but I find the iPhone 4s very handy indeed! Definitely not just a pretty little toy.
Oh how I love my iPhone 4s, let me count the ways:
- Facebook. Need I say more?
- I like using the iPhone to create my digital shopping list every week. I can even tick off items as I shop. I used to scribble on random pieces of paper which ended up everywhere. Now I can save some trees too (ahem!).
- I ride the bus everyday. With the Maxx app, I can check the bus arrival board of my stop live from home and plan to start walking accordingly. No more watching helplessly as my bus drives away right in front of my eyes across the street. Not a good way to start the day I tell you.
- The iPhone 4s is built with an 8 megapixel camera which is comparable to, if not better than many digital cameras. Coupled with the WordPress app, I can take pictures and upload it into a draft post straightaway. No cables, no transferring from camera to laptop, no excuses for not blogging!
- Have you heard of the Genius Scan app? It lets you take pictures of documents with the iPhone camera and convert them into PDF files. And you can email them immediately too. How handy is that?
- I keep a daily food and exercise journal on MyFitnessPal.com. Its iPhone app enables me to keep track of calories throughout the day as I eat! It works, I have been shedding pounds steadily. But that’s another story for another day.
The only downside is the relatively short battery life. With my usage, I have to recharge my iPhone battery pretty much every night. I guess I can’t complain since its performing so many tasks at once.
I’m really impressed with the iPhone 4s and I’m glad I finally get to use one. I’m outdated, I know. I’m still not a gadgets person. I wouldn’t care less if the iPhone 5 comes out tomorrow, I’m sticking with the 4s until it decides to die on me.