When my friend Lyazzat first showed me how to make Tiramisu, I could hardly believe how easy it is to prepare this popular and expensive Italian desert. This recipe is originally from another friend, Fariza but I added an extra ingredient – brandy or white wine which is totally optional. The best part of making this is, there’s no cooking or baking needed! Unless you count making coffee as cooking! This is a sure crowd pleaser, a must try.
- A packet of Unibic sponge fingers
- A regular cup of strong black coffee (no sugar added)
- A block of Philadelphia cream cheese (250g) – room temperature
- A bottle of full dairy cream (500ml) – chilled
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- Half cup brandy or white wine (optional)
- Cocoa powder for garnishing
- Beat or mix cream cheese, full dairy cream and sugar in a large bowl until smooth and creamy.
- If using brandy or white wine, mix it into your cup of coffee, pour into a shallow bowl.
- Quickly roll sponge fingers in the coffee mixture to coat it and line it on a baking tray or casserole one by one. I used the plastic tray that came with the sponge fingers package. Be careful not to soak the fingers too much or it will become soggy.
- Spread a one-inch-thick layer of cream cheese mixture onto the sponge fingers.
- Repeat with another layer of coffee coated fingers.
- Finish with a slightly thinner layer of cream cheese mixture.
- Chill inside the refrigerator for at least 2-3 hours. For best results, chill overnight.
- Sprinkle evenly and generously with cocoa powder on top when ready to cut and serve.
If you substitute the sponge fingers with coffee sponge cake, or any sponge cake wetted with black coffee, and use the same cream cheese mixture for layering and frosting, you’ll get a tiramisu cake 🙂